Sunday, April 24, 2016

North Carolina, what the heck are you doing?

It's 2016. I'm going to start with that. It's 2016, it's about damn time that we realize trans is ok!

North Carolina's state legislature just passed HB2, or more officially, The Public Facilities Privacy and Secure Act. This law basically states that unless a transgender has made surgical or legal steps to change their sex or legal sex, they have to right to use the bathroom in public spaces that they best relate to.

How ridiculous is that? I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I know what it's like to be transgender. I've never wanted to be a boy, or never felt that my body didn't accurately express my sexuality and gender preference. But, I do know that if a man feels in every bone, blood cell and nerve end that they are a woman, that is their feeling. I have no right to limit them, or in any way hinder the way they want to or need to live their life.

North Carolina is doing that. It's supporters are saying that it is to protect the safety of all citizens. I don't think I'd ever feel unsafe if a transgender woman walked into the restroom after me. Why? Because we're both going in the same three stalled room to do our business. Their business is their business and my business is my business, the only way we may have an interaction in the midst of our businesses is if one of us runs out of toilet paper. God forbid one of us runs out of toiler paper. Can you imagine? Having to ask a transgender woman to pass the Charmin?? (note the sarcasm I am in NO WAY being serious here.)

I've actually kind of had an experience like this, but not quite. I was in the restroom at a restaurant just chillin, doing my thing. Then I hear male voices and I freak out. Not because I was scared, I just literally thought I walked into the wrong bathroom. I was worried about being caught and looking stupid, so I wait until they leave, wash my hands and walk out the door. But not without checking to see if it's a dress or a regular stick person on the door. It was a dress, and they two men were drag queens. I wasn't scared because of who they were, I was nervous that I had been extremely stupid and made a huge mistake.

The point is, this law is dumb. It plays into transphobia and only promotes the further discrimination harsh judgment that transgender individuals will face. Get over yourself, North Carolina, it's just a pee/poop room.

stay peaceful (and make a change)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment