Thursday, April 7, 2016

Brussels

It's been a couple weeks since the Brussels bombing. It's a tough subject to blog about. Bombing, that is. I don't know why they keep happening and I don't really know if my voice will make a difference, but maybe it can.

All I ask is why? Why do we feel the need to repeatedly bomb each other? To terrorize? I know the world will never be 100% peaceful. We won't always get along. I know there are politicians who are corrupt and politicians who don't get along. I know all of this. And I am still flabbergasted at how we can be so terrorizing.

These attacks were during rush hour, obviously planned to affect the most people at once. More than 30 people were left dead and 200 wounded.

In Brussels' Zeventem Airport, a suicide bomber struck around 8 am. The bomb collapsed ceilings and broke glass everywhere. People fled from the smoking building carrying whatever they could. Videos and photos are all over the internet. They show images that may be difficult to look at, I know I struggled.

The Maelbeek Station was also hit. This explosion caused chaos that was close to the European Union headquarters in the center of the city. Were these explosions sending a message to the European Union? Images from this explosion were difficult to look at as well, but what can you expect? When you're told of an explosion happening and terrorist attacks spread throughout Brussels you can't expect decent images.

After the attacks most of Belgium shut down. Children were ordered to stay in school. Transit systems were shut down, most tunnels were closed to traffic. Lock down was lifted eventually, but Belgium stayed under a level 4 threat, warning citizens and all people to be vigilant and pay attention. Be careful and safe.

France and Germany stepped up vigilance. Doing the best they can to keep their citizens safe.

I used to not be scared of terrorism. You know? I didn't think it would affect me, I thought I was safe, I thought because I live in America I was safe. I feel safer than people in Europe probably do. They're closer to the middle east and certain organizations. But we're slowly learning that oceans don't necessarily mean you're safe. Watching the news and seeing new terrorist attacks almost everyday doesn't do much to keep a person in the safe mentality.

I offer my condolences to all of the families affected by these horrible attacks. Even if it's two weeks late, I still care the same. We need to unite. To come together as a world, to fight against terrorism.

stay peaceful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment