Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Pro-Choice Doesn't Mean Pro-Abortion

The recent Planned Parenthood shooting has made think about abortion, and made me realize that many people don't understand the Pro-Choice stance.

I'm Pro-Choice, but I'm not Pro-Abortion. This may be difficult for some people to understand, but I really don't know why. I believe any woman has the right to control what she wants to do with her body. Abortion is a choice, a very difficult choice that about 3,300 women will make today. There are many different situations where a woman may choose to have an abortion.

Rape and incest are common reasons for abortion. If it's not the right time of life for the woman, she may get an abortion because she doesn't want to raise a child in a stressful situation. Some people may say adoption is the answer for these situations. However, I believe adoption may be just as difficult as choosing to get an abortion. Having to physically give away your baby after you've spent hours in labor bringing it into this world would be absolutely heartbreaking.

With today's increasing medical technology there are tests that are completed to make sure babies will be as healthy as possible when they are born. If a mother receives test results that conclude a stillbirth or a painful birth for the baby that will result in instant death, it is her choice whether she wants to watch her newborn suffer and be put through pain or if she will have an abortion to save the potential pain that the baby would have suffered.

Any consideration of abortion is painful and emotionally wrenching. I, personally would not have abortion. I don't think I'd be able to live with myself. I'm not saying that women who receive abortions are heartless or that they don't love kids. I'm saying they are most likely stronger than me. They're able to go through something so emotionally wrenching and heartbreaking, and for some women it may be an easier choice than it is for others, every woman and every woman's body is different.

The main point of this blogpost was that I personally would never get an abortion, and don't "endorse" it, but what right do I have to tell another woman that she can't have one? In fact, what right does some privileged white male in Washington D.C. have to tell a woman she can't control her body?

 The pro-life viewpoint, however, doesn't give anyone the right to control a woman's decisions or body.

stay peaceful (and considerate)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment