Saturday, February 13, 2016

"Like a Girl"

"You run like a girl"
"You hit like a girl"
"Why are you crying? That's so girly"

Yep, I run like a girl, because I'm a girl. Mhmm, I hit like a girl, because I am a girl. Yeah, I'm crying, but it's not girly. It's human. When did "like a girl" become an insult?

You wish you could run like a girl. We jump through obstacles and face problems everyday just because we have two X chromosomes.

Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I always have to be happy or that I need to wait for a  boy to save me. I can save myself. Girls are seen as bossy, weak, ditsy and overdramatic. Society limits us and what we can do by placing these stereotypes on us.

Always, the feminine hygiene brand, has made it their personal mission to get rid of the lack of confidence that girls in society face. Their main goal is to build confidence in young girls throughout the world. During puberty, a young girls confidence levels plummet. They fall off the face of the earth, and feeling limited by society only helps them fall further.

Always hasn't just started this movement. For the past thirty years they have worked with educators and administrators throughout the world to educate young girls on puberty and cycles. Education doesn't stop at just "period talk" for Always. They're determined to teach little girls how to retain confidence and even grow confidence in themselves.

72% of girls feel like society limits them. Only 28% do not. That's not cool or acceptable. We need to make an effort to change that.


Watching the videos on Always' YouTube channel is inspiring. These little girls know their limitations, they know how they've been limited but they're not just going to take it. They're going to show the world how strong they are and how unacceptable it is to be limited.

I'm excited that Always is making an effort to change society, and to change the way girls view themselves. Little girls know how strong they are or how strong they can be. If these girls don't realize this when they're young and before puberty, they won't be able to easily teach themselves how truly amazing they are.

What about boys? Yeah, boys lack self confidence. They feel the need to be strong, protective and the "alpha male". But I don't think they are nearly as limited as girls are. They're not told they have to act a certain way. They're not necessarily criticized for being who they are. If a girl doesn't wear makeup, she may not be considered "girly" enough. But if a girl does wear makeup, she may be considered a liar for "false advertising". That's disgusting.

I hope you learned a little bit today. If anything, watch Always' videos on YouTube, they're amazing. I encourage more people to use #LikeAGirl in the good context that it should be used in.

Check out the Always webpage and learn more about how much effort they're making in the battle to raise girls' confidence! Click here!

stay peaceful (and #LikeAGirl)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment