Monday, September 21, 2015

World Peace Day: September 21st

"I call on all warring parties to lay down their weapons and observe a global ceasefire. To them I say: stop the killings and the destruction, and create space for lasting peace."

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
 
 
Wouldn't it be grand if everyday were World Peace Day? For me, every day is peaceful if I choose. I can decide how my day is going to unfold by simply stating how I'm going to choose to view things. It'll be unpleasant for me if I have a poor and negative attitude, and other days will be grand if I put a smile on my face and say so.
 
This, however, is not the case for everyone. There are violent wars and merciless persecutions all over the world. We see this repeated for thousands of years throughout the course of history. Except for this one day. In 1981, the United Nations General Assembly, founded an International Day of Peace. One restful day (hopefully leading to more) to allow for families and friends to take a break from the constant fighting. A day to relax and reflect with neighbors. To think about the main reason they are fighting in the first place.
 
This year, 2015, has a theme that I love, and find achievable. "Partnerships for Peace- Dignity for All". This theme is centered around the need of teamwork, and social interactions to create peaceful communities. We cannot depend on one single person to change the course of history. We must all put in an effort to change the world.
 
To commemorate World Peace Day, nations and people from all over the world are invited to learn and educate others about social issues. Social awareness and education are the keys to a better life, and successful relations.
 
Snapchat has created a public "story" that you can view. It shows people from all over the world celebrating. Women and men from Pakistan, Israel, Palestine, Afghanistan and the United States are all involved in World Peace Day, and you should be too!
 
In order to make every day peaceful, we must come together and educate ourselves. We must acknowledge differences and put an end to war.
 
Peace, to everyone from every country and area of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment